Hear me out: this is the best cake ever. It’s the perfect amount of sugar, it’s moist, it’s go crunchy coconut to balance the frosting and it’s got a strong spice that adds a zing.
Top tips from me:
1) Make sure to soften your butter fully before starting your cake batter. You may need to take it out in the morning and bake in the afternoon.
2) Grease AND flour your cake pans! This will make it easy to pop them out.
3) Make sure to cream your butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until they are smooth and creamy with no lumps.
4) Sift all your dry ingredients together — especially the mace — to make sure there are no lumps in the batter and that the mace is spread evenly throughout.
5) If you’re doing a layer cake, bake the cakes for a shorter amount of time, about 25 minutes, to avoid burning them. Sheet cakes will take about 45 minutes.
6) I suck at decorating cakes, but this one’s flavor matters more than its appearance. Put handfuls of coconut around the side so any frosting blemishes are covered up.
To prep the cakes, you’ll likely only need about 20 minutes. The baking time depends on what form your cake is — sheet or two layers or three — but cooling time is about an hour before frosting. This cake will serve many many people!
2/3 cup of softened butter — 1 and 3/4 cups sugar — 2 eggs — 1 tsp vanilla — 2 and 3/4 cups all-purpose flour — 2 and 1/2 tsp baking powder — 1 tsp salt — 1 ground mace — 1 and 1/4 cups milk — about half a bag of shredded, sweetened coconut
Did you make this recipe and have any suggestions? Make sure to leave a comment!