This pie is literally perfect. The filling is tart while still bursting with berry flavor, paired with the deliciously sweet, crunchy and buttery crumble. The crust I made was buttery too and added to the overall euphoric experience.
Top tips from me:
1) You are welcome to use whatever pie crust recipe you’d prefer to make. I typically do an all-butter crust, but Alli shared with me that she typically does a shortnening-based crust, so I did half butter and half shortnening. It was delicious and easy! Recipe linked below.
2) Erin and Alli recommend allowing the sugar to cook down in the strawberries before adding the rest of the berries. Also make sure to drain any excess liquid to make sure the filling won’t flow everywhere.
3) They only add a cornstarch flurry to make the filling more solid, and not tons of other stuff like gelatin or baking powder. You can truly taste the difference in how fresh their filling is!
4) You can use frozen berries instead of fresh if you’d like, but the sisters recommend thawing them out a bit in warm water before adding to the pot.
5) Make sure you combine the liqueur, lemon juice and cornstarch into a slurry before adding to the filling.
6) Melting your butter to create the crumble makes an even flavor and crunch, versus some other recipes that leave the butter in chunks. Make sure to get a wet sand like consistency! This means you will not use all the dry ingredients you mixed, so either toss the rest or save it for the second pie.
7) Sprinkling a combination of cornstarch and sugar over the bottom of the crust before adding the filling will ensure that the crust will be buttery and flaky, and not soggy.
With the prep, cooking the filling down and chilling the pie crust, this took me approximately 2 hours and 20 minutes to recreate, plus any time you would need to let the pie cool. Don’t serve it directly out of the oven or the filling will be too liquidy! It serves about 8 people but nobody is judging you if you eat the whole thing.
1 cup strawberries, halved — 1 cup blueberries — 1 cup blackberries — 1 cup raspberries — 1 and 3/4 cups sugar, 1/4 for the filling and the rest for the crumble — 1/2 cup blackberry liqueur — 1/2 cup lemon juice — 1/2 cup cornstarch, half for filling and half for dusting crust — 1 1/2 cup brown sugar — 3 cups flour — 1 tbsp cinnamon
Did you make this recipe and have suggestions? Leave a comment!